CREATOR ECONOMY NEWSLETTER
Issue #114 | Mar. 7, 2023
Jimmy Donaldson—aka YouTube stunt, tech, and philanthropy sensation MrBeast—is known for his scale, flashiness, and at times, controversy.
Back in February 2023, for example, Donaldson sparked debate after posting a video saying he “cured” 1,000 people of blindness. While some users accused Donaldson of “charity porn,” other loyal fans flocked to his defense.
Donaldson drew controversy once again on Friday after he tweeted a request to his followers asking them to fix up the displays of his Feastables candy product at Walmart stores. Passionfruit Contributor Patricia Grisafi breaks down the myriad of responses creators shared on Twitter—ranging from those impressed with this latest marketing ploy to those upset by how creators can take advantage of their fans’ loyalty.
– Grace Stanley, Newsletter Editor
SEEKING A TREND
MrBeast sparks debate on Twitter after asking fans to clean up Feastables candy displays at Walmart
While some creators pitched in to help, others were angry about how unpaid labor is often part of the creator economy experience.
By Patricia Grisafi, Passionfruit Contributor
Self-publish your first book
BookBaby is the all-in-one self-publishing platform you need to publish your first book. At a reasonable cost, you will get everything you need to go from writer to published author.
ONE GREAT TIP
“I will watch my old favorite movies, listen to podcasts, and watch YouTubers. I’m looking for something that stands out to me, like a mannerism or a ridiculous thing someone says that can translate into a good joke.”—TikToker Delaney Rowe on finding inspiration for content. Read more in our November 2022.
FROM THE INSIDE
Pinterest CMO Andréa Mallard joins the Kajabi board (Exclusive)
Mallard shared advice for creators and shared how she thinks Kajabi is transforming the creator economy.
By Stephen Laddin, Passionfruit Contributor
TIPS AND TRICKS
Meet an influencer who turned being a good friend into a 6-figure a year job as a content creator
TikToker Danielle Bayard Jackson explains how she’s managed to turn her advice about being a good friend into a six-figure yearly salary.
By Jen Glantz, Passionfruit Contributor
IN THE BIZ
- TikTok formally announced paywalled premium content, called “Series.”
- Creators are sharing their YouTube Shorts payouts after one month of revenue sharing. (via Tubefilter)
- Facebook announced updates to Reels, including new templates, effects, and longer 90-second video limits.
- Faze Clan announced its first all-women esports team.
- Catch, a company providing financial tools for creators, shut down.
- Meta is expecting further layoffs. (via Bloomberg)
- Notable hires departed from Clubhouse. (via the Information)
- Twitter lifted its ban on cannabis advertising. (via Digiday)
TIKTOK MADE ME DO IT
Is anyone else on PedroPascalTok?