Issue #137 | May 25, 2023
Brace yourselves, because our town misogynist, edgy streamer Adin Ross, actually copystriked a video… he helped make???
It looks like the edgelord supreme copystriked one of his collaborators, Call of Duty streamer Futives, who co-streamed gaming with Ross (with Ross getting his ass righteously handed to him in the game), robbing Futives of monetization on a video with 1-million-plus views.
In response to the madness, gamer Jake Lucky tweeted, “Gotta be the lowest thing I’ve seen in awhile… Lift the strike brother.” Hell yeah, brother. Agreed.
While the strike was removed by YouTube, this is just the latest in Adin Ross’s spree of low-blow false copystrikes—remember when he tried to make a claim against Hasan Piker for Hasan’s own content? (He also tried to take down someone he thought was Hasan’s main moderator, so it looks like someone might have a crush).
Sit down, let’s talk, Adin. We think you have a problem.
– Grace Stanley, Newsletter Editor
THE DARK SIDE
Adin Ross has a copyright striking problem
Streamer Adin Ross has been in the news constantly for making false copyright claims. The question is, why?
By Steven Asarch, Passionfruit Contributor
Sculpt your unique sound and stand out from the crowd
Upgrade your content creation game with the Blue Sona microphone. Designed for creators, it delivers stunning broadcast sound and minimizes distractions for crisp and clean streams. Order now and use code LOGIGIFT for up to $50 off your purchase!
FROM ONE CREATOR TO ANOTHER
“Please do not be pressured to have DMs open as a content creator. I had DMs open for a while, but noticed having that communication line open to dozens and dozens of viewers was effecting my mental health. Do what is best for you and your mental health!”—VTuber Cat (@coolboomcatt) on setting boundaries.
FROM THE PICKET LINE
What creators can learn from the Writers Strike, Part 3: The Long Game in a Viral World
In this ongoing series, we’re looking at some of the lessons everyone, not just the next generation of showrunners, should be learning from the Writers Strike—this week, we’re talking about long-term sustainability over short-term gains.
By Lon Harris, Passionfruit Contributor
SCOTUS just awarded Twitter and Google a big win. Here’s what it means for social media creators everywhere.
There’s a Section 230-sized elephant in the room.
By Henry Chandonnet, Passionfruit Contributor
IN THE BIZ
- The anti-woke Twitter brigade was hyped this week with Florida’s conservative governor Robert DeSantis’s 2024 presidential campaign announcement on Twitter Spaces alongside Elon Musk and co-host David Sacks. Too bad there were tons of glitches and audio issues at the event.
- In a very Trump-esque claim, Sacks laughably claimed it was “probably the biggest room ever held on social media.” CNN reported only a few hundred thousand concurrent users were in the room… So let’s just ignore the YouTubers and Twitch stars that regularly get millions of viewers at a time, or that stream by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez playing Among Us that got over 400,000, okay?
- A Google AI language model is making behind-the-scenes metadata descriptions for YouTube Shorts to help with discoverability. Let’s hope it works properly, considering it hasn’t always been a smooth ride for Google.
- A comedian named Mizzy was taken to court over a “prank” video where he walked into a stranger’s house… an age-old reminder it’s not always best to “do it for the Vine.”
- Hold onto your sides, folks, because this hilarious comedian has been fearlessly dishing out political commentary with his character, Uncle Roger, who cheekily talks trash about just about everyone. He’s currently fighting social media bans in China due to his jokes, but according to Ng, “Uncle Roger always talks shit about everybody. It doesn’t matter if you’re BBC, CCP, or even Jamie Oliver. Nobody safe!”
ZELDA MADE ME DO IT
I swear this isn’t a Tears of the Kingdom fan account, but I’ve been dying over what people are doing to these poor adorable woodland spirits… including crucifixion.😭
(Here’s a cute clip of a Korok being carried to his BFF to balance that bad karma out)
Copyright © 2022 Passionfruit, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you signed up to get the latest tips, tricks,
and trends in the creator economy from Passionfruit.
Have an idea for our next big story or want to get featured? Email us at [email protected]
Don’t want to hear from us anymore?
Click here to unsubscribe
To view in your browser click here