CREATOR ECONOMY NEWSLETTER
Issue #117 | Mar. 16, 2023
This weekend at South by Southwest (SXSW), creators took center stage in many events, parties, and panels—including at a content creators meet-up hosted by 25-year-old Harry Jowsey, a creator with over 9.1 million followers across TikTok and Instagram and a former reality TV star known for Netflix’s Too Hot To Handle.
At the panel, Jowsey shared his insight on a variety of topics, including monetization, brand deals, audience engagement, content strategy, and career development. Backstage, we spoke with him about his career trajectory, how he approaches internet drama, and more.
Also this week, Passionfruit Contributor Steven Asarch spoke with Kacey “Kacey” Anderson, a Twitch streamer and the first woman content creator for the eMLS—the major league for FIFA players. This weekend, she took the stage at SXSW at the eMLS cup as its lead correspondent. Leading up to the event, she shared insight on the esports industry in an interview with Passionfruit.
– Grace Stanley, Newsletter Editor
At SXSW, influencer and ‘Too Hot To Handle’ star Harry Jowsey describes his career evolution
‘Not many people really like straight white guys. So I’m like, you know, let’s take the piss out of myself.’
By Grace Stanley, Newsletter Editor
The world’s first creator accelerator that turns you into a pro
10x your social media reach in 5 months with the NAS Academy Creator Accelerator Program. Designed to help you skyrocket into social media greatness, you’ll learn everything you need to accelerate your career as a creator.
ONE GREAT TIP
“Find something you’re passionate about. When I started social media, I wanted to find something I was obsessed with. I tried different videos, different outfits. You need to find your dish.”—TikToker Tyshon Lawrence shares content strategy advice. Read more in our March 2023 interview.
Twitch streamer Kacey ‘Kacee’ Anderson takes stage as lead correspondent at the eMLS Cup at SXSW
Anderson spoke to Passionfruit about her experience with the eMLS as its first woman content creator.
By Steven Asarch, Passionfruit Contributor
Five new creator tools for 2023 that will help creators make more money on Instagram and TikTok
These tools will give your channel new life.
By Jen Glantz, Passionfruit Contributor
IN THE BIZ
- Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) quietly deleted its social media channels after going under. (via the Daily Dot)
- Creator economy start ups are reeling from SVB’s collapse. (via TechCrunch)
- TikTok is facing further pressure from the U.S. government over a potential ban. (via the Verge)
- The U.K. joined many countries in banning TikTok on government devices. (via CNN)
- Chat GPT revealed GPT-4, its latest AI language model. (via MIT Technology Review)
- Twitch’s CEO Emmett Shear is stepping down. (via TechCrunch)
- YouTubers SpyNinjas are launching a theme park. (via Tubefilter)
- TikTokers are testing the app’s feed refresh feature. (via the Verge)
- “Lucky Girl Syndrome” is facing scrutiny on TikTok. (via the Daily Dot)
TIKTOK MADE ME DO IT
“Just letting everyone know” about this new trend.